Thursday, February 14, 2008

Erotic Toy Foreplay for Valentine's Day

With Valentine's Day being big business (read $$$$$) in the United States, and Europe following suit (€€€€'s of course), one is utterly bombarded a few weeks in advance with advertisements and offers, each one more enticing than the next in order to get the customer to buy a certain product or eat at a certain establishement.

But what I saw when grocery shopping yesterday really made the rest look like last years drainpipe jeans. What you may ask, is so 'out there'?

Well, there is a local weekly print magazine here in Belgium which has been around for over twenty years. I can even remember their first issue, typically girlie and innocent, meant for the 'average' young woman. It has changed over the years of course, but the audience market still remains the same. This weeks' issue however, is far from innocent and even I, with my open mind was quite taken aback by what I saw on the front cover.

As a free gift, there, smack bam! right on the front cover, was a purple jelly cockring with massage gel / lubricant included! To top it off, it wasn't wrapped in some non see-through packaging either, nope. The cockring was sealed in a small window plastic wrapping just stuck to the magazine cover with the massage gel next to it.

I had my youngest daughter with me and she must have found the color interesting thinking it was some sort of toy as she inquisitively tried to pry open the wrapping, with me blushing and trying hard to get her hands away without tearing the magazine at the same time.

Like I said, I consider myself open minded, but to allow this to be presented in every local grocery store, in plain view with the rest of the available magazines, so even small kids can see,
is going a little too far in my opinion.

I'm sure the sponsor Durex is very happy with the stunt and I am also sure there will be many sales of this particular magazine this week but I wonder what the reprecussions are going to be.

There is a TV programme which I'm sure is going to love this subject and I'm positive that we have not heard the end of this.

For those of you who are interested, this is the website http://www.flair.be/ Here you can see the cover page, and though you may not be able to understand what is written as it's in Dutch, the cock ring gets the point across.

Enjoy your week,

No comments: