Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The U.K. before and after July 1st

I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Kent, England last night and the subject of smoking came up. She's a smoker and feels that her social activities have been intruded upon due to a new law.

On the 1st July 2007 a general smoking ban was enforced in the United Kingdom. As an ex smoker I understand both the pros and cons of this new law. However, in my humble opinion I feel that the ban is a little over the top.

I understand that non smokers want to enjoy social activities without smoke in their vicinity and am for a general smoking ban in government buildings but to ban smoking in ALL public places including bars, pubs and restaurants, even ones which have designated smoking rooms is going too far.

The reason for the law is to "save thousands of peoples' lives" according to Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt, after commons and the cabinet voted in 2006. However, Simon Clark, director of smoking support group Forest, said: "This is a double whammy and an unnecessary and illiberal piece of legislation that denies freedom of choice to millions of people.

To me, the freedom of choice is what makes people individuals and if one wishes to smoke, as long as it doesn't bother others then one should be allowed to do so. As for the ban saving thousands of lives. Shouldn't alcohol consumption be banned then too? Since many people die of alcohol whether it be because they died of drinking too much or because of drunk drivers getting behind the wheel causing horrible accidents and killing someone.

I learned a long time ago that if my parents wouldn't let me do something then I would come up with an inventive idea and solution to do that certain thing anyway, without actually defying my parents rules. And that's probably what's going to happen in this case too.

No comments: