Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'm dreaming of a white christmas......not!

As gorgeous and fairytale-like a white christmas is, I would much, much rather be lying on a tropical beach in the caribbean than sitting in front of a log fire drinking eggnog - wouldn't you?
I presume it's what we're used to. Having lived in a country where the average temperature didn't go below 86°F at night, I longed for a day when I could walk outside without feeling like I had stepped into a sauna. When I moved to the Northern part of Europe, where the winters are wet and cold to very cold, I yearned for the time I had spent in the tropics! Either I'm just spoilt rotten or its a question of thinking that the proverbial grass is always greener on the other side.

Still, I guess that it would be weird to see a christmas tree covered in lights and decorations next to a palm tree, and Santa Claus walking around on the beach.....for most of us anyway!

One could of course do what a friend of mine has planned. He and his son are going ice fishing during the christmas vacation. They have rented a cabin smack next to the lake, so all they have to do is roll out of their thermal sleeping bag, into their winter undies, zip up their eiderdown jackets, cut a hole in the ice and presto - they're fishing. Whether they'll actually catch something is beside the point, it's the experience that counts according to them.

If you have more time to travel or prefer to outdo your friends vacation stories, why not go on an orca whale safari in Scandanavia? http://www.nordicsaga.com/ offers unique adventures, though not for the faint hearted.

As for me, I'll be spending my christmas at home, in front of the log fire, mesmerized by the dancing flames, dreaming about a caribbean beach christmas far away. I wish you ALL a very merry christmas.










No comments: